Social Services

The BCHS social worker works in collaboration with guidance counselors, school nurses, teachers, administrators, parents, and various community agencies. Information obtained through these resources will then be integrated to provide social, emotional, behavioral, and adaptive functioning support to the student, his or her family, and the school. The social worker provides a safe place for students to discuss problems, while building resiliency factors so students are less likely to engage in risk-taking behaviors.

2016/17 School Year: Our social worker, Becky Wilde, is in the building on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays during the school year, at the 2nd floor of the St. Benedict Center.

The following are the services provided through the social worker:

  • Individual/group counseling
  • Crisis intervention/conflict mediation services
  • Empowerment of/advocacy for students and families
  • Culturally competent services
  • Referrals to community agencies
  • Consultation with school staff, family, and community agencies

Referral to the Social Worker

Parents, school staff, and students may refer someone to Becky. Please be aware that students may refer themselves to the social worker without prior consent of a parent or guardian.

Parental Notification

Parents will be notified if a referral is made by the school staff or if a referral relates to a serious nature. Parents may also contact the school directly if the parent does not want his/her child to receive those services.
An exception is made if child abuse or neglect is suspected or if the child appears to be in crisis. In this situation, Becky may meet with the student one time without parental consent to assess the situation.

Some common reasons for referral to the social worker are:

    Sudden changes in academics/behavior
  • Anxiety/Depression/Anger management
  • Peer pressure and friendships
  • Family issues
  • Grief/loss
  • Substance abuse
  • Social skills
  • Self-esteem

If you have any questions, please contact Becky Wilde, at or phone 317-251-1451, ext.2280.