We’re back with a shorter, more streamlined update!
- Bishop Chatard will offer an SAT School Day, which gives students an extra chance to sit for the SAT, on Wednesday, October 13, 2021. This opportunity is open to seniors only. If you have not done so already, please complete this form to reserve your spot. More detailed registration and fee information will be available in subsequent weeks.This test date is in addition to the currently available Saturday test dates of October 2 and November 6. Registration for those tests is available at collegeboard.org. The school day test will not appear as an option in your College Board account.
- Scoir has replaced Naviance as our college search and application resource. Before you go any further in your college search, you should complete the YouScience career assessment under Careers and the college search under Colleges. You can log in with your BCHS account under Log in with Google.
- Colleges are visiting Bishop Chatard! Sign up for the meetings with college reps in Scoir. The list of upcoming schools is also on our Student Meetings Calendar.
- Please complete your Common Application as soon as possible. When you get to the questions about our school, please indicate that we have A-F grading on a 4.0 weighted scale. There are 157 students in your class and we do not rank. You have to list Mrs. Nixon as your counselor in order for all of the proper paperwork to be submitted. Do not list anyone as your Advisor. If you are applying to a school that asks you to enter your grades (i.e., Purdue), enter No Grade and 0 credits for the Final, but put your grades and credits for S1 and S2 as they appear on your transcript.
- When applying to schools, please do not wait for letters of recommendation, transcripts, or counselor forms to be added to your application file before you click submit. You can click submit as soon as you finish everything; the colleges will add the other materials to your file when they arrive.
- Remember, if a school does not accept the Common Application, you will need to apply through the college’s website and request your transcript through Parchment. You must request a transcript to be sent to each college or university through Common Application or Parchment.
- Again in 2022, some colleges are not requiring the SAT and ACT. A list of schools who do not require test scores is available here. There are still certain majors and scholarship programs that require tests at schools not requiring tests for admission. Many colleges and universities have changed their policies about whether you are allowed to change your test optional selection after your application has been submitted. Check with each school to which you are applying to ensure that you are choosing the option that is more advantageous to your admission and scholarship decisions.
- Remember that free online test prep tools are available through Khan Academy for SAT and ACT Academy. It is important that you send your scores directly from the testing service through your CollegeBoard and ACT accounts. Take advantage of the free score sends when you register. You must send your test scores to each college or university directly from the testing service. If you qualify for free or reduced lunch, you also qualify for test fee waivers. See Mrs. Nixon to access your code.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: You can begin filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on October 1 at fafsa.ed.gov. You will be reviewed for financial aid based on your 2020 tax information. If your income has changed drastically from 2020 to 2021, or if you have special circumstances, please contact each college or university for assistance. We recommend fastweb.com, RaiseMe, and CollegeBoard Opportunity Scholarships for outside scholarship searches.
- The Indiana University Groups Scholars Program provides academic, financial, and social support to selected underrepresented Indiana college students from matriculation to graduation and beyond. See Mrs. Nixon if you are interested in applying. To be considered, you must complete the IU Application for Admission by October 15 and the Groups Application and the FAFSA prior to November 1.