- Because of recent test center closures and other covid-related obstacles, Bishop Chatard will offer an SAT School Day, which gives students an extra chance to sit for the SAT, on Wednesday, October 14, 2020. This opportunity is open to seniors only. If you have not done so already, please complete this form to reserve your spot. More detailed registration and fee information will be available in subsequent weeks.This test date is in addition to the currently available Saturday test dates of September 26, October 3, November 7, and December 5. Registration for those tests is available at collegeboard.org. The school day test will not appear as an option in your College Board account.
- Scoir has replaced Naviance as our college search and application resource. Before you go any further in your college search, you should complete the YouScience career assessment under Careers and the college search under Colleges. You can log in with your BCHS account under Log in with Google.
- Please complete your Common Application as soon as possible. When you get to the questions about our school, please indicate that we have A-F grading on a 4.0 weighted scale. There are 174 students in your class and we do not rank. You have to list Mrs. Nixon as your counselor in order for all of the proper paperwork to be submitted. Do not list anyone as your Advisor. If you are applying to a school that asks you to enter your grades (i.e., Purdue), enter No Grade and 0 credits for the Final, but put your grades and credits for S1 and S2 as they appear on your transcript.
- When applying to schools, please do not wait for letters of recommendation, transcripts, or counselor forms to be added to your application file before you click submit. You can click submit as soon as you finish everything; the colleges will add the other materials to your file when they arrive.
- Remember, if a school does not accept the Common Application, you will need to apply through the college’s website and request your transcript through Parchment. You must request a transcript to be sent to each college or university through Common Application or Parchment.
- Your senior grades are so important when you apply to college. Admission reps frequently reach out to our office to check on your current senior grades when they are trying to make a decision, so please don’t wait to submit any missing assignments or test corrections. We want to give the schools more reasons to admit you, and an upward grade trend is a good reason!
- Please complete your College Autobiography ASAP. This helps teachers write letters of recommendation for your college applications. After you complete it, you should ask them in person whether they are willing to write a recommendation for you. Then, send them the copies of your College Autobiography responses.
- Colleges will not be visiting Bishop Chatard in person this fall. You can still connect with them! We have set up virtual college meetings with our reps; you can access the calendar of events and meeting links through your Scoir account.There are also opportunities to visit colleges through their virtual programs, which can be found on their websites. The National Association of College Admission Counselors is hosting virtual college fairs (multiple dates; see link) this fall. The Indiana Association of College Admission Counselors is hosting a Virtual College Exploration Program with sessions running from October 5-22. Registration is available here and an informational flyer can be found here.
- For 2021, some colleges are not requiring the SAT and ACT. A list of schools who do not require test scores is available here. If you are applying to a school that is still requiring scores, please let Mrs. Nixon know. Also, there are still certain majors and scholarship programs that require tests at schools not requiring tests for admission. Remember that free online test prep tools are available through Khan Academy for SAT and ACT Academy. It is important that you send your scores directly from the testing service through your CollegeBoard and ACT accounts. Take advantage of the free score sends when you register. You must send your test scores to each college or university directly from the testing service. If you qualify for free or reduced lunch, you also qualify for test fee waivers. See Mrs. Nixon to access your code.
- Most campuses are closed to visitors as a result of the virus. All colleges and universities should have virtual tours available. To make a physical visit and visit a college during a school day, register in advance on the college website. Have your family call you in the morning of your absence. When you return from your absence, take confirmation of your attendance or your itinerary for the day to Mrs. Kaminski. If you need a pre-arranged absence form for an extended absence, see Mr. Reilly. Colleges have admission counselors assigned to work with Bishop Chatard students; you should be able to determine our rep by going to the website and clicking a link similar to “Find My Counselor.” This person is your resource and your advocate; utilize them!
- If you are pursuing college athletics, please register with the NCAA Eligibility Center (NCAA Division I and II), NAIA Eligibility Center (NAIA), and/or NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association). NCAA Division III athletes do not need to register.
- There are over 1,700 colleges that have Army ROTC on campus. For a complete list of all ROTC colleges, look over this link. Many of these programs have early deadlines; be sure to apply as soon as possible.
- Scholarships and Financial Aid: You can begin filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on October 1 at fafsa.ed.gov. You will be reviewed for financial aid based on your 2019 tax information. If your income has changed drastically from 2019 to 2020, or if you have special circumstances, please contact each college or university for assistance. We recommend fastweb.com, RaiseMe, and CollegeBoard Opportunity Scholarships for outside scholarship searches.
- The Indiana University Groups Scholars Program provides academic, financial, and social support to selected underrepresented Indiana college students from matriculation to graduation and beyond. To see if you are eligible to apply, review the GROUPS 2021 Student Application. See Mrs. Nixon if you are interested in applying. To be considered, you must complete the Groups Application, the IU application for admission, and the FAFSA prior to November 1.
Thank you to our friends at Marian University for supporting Bishop Chatard students.