Nothing helps students and families more in the college search process than making an official college visit to schools of interest. Many college visits can take place on non-BCHS school days, but there are times when it is necessary to take a day off of school.
Colleges have admission counselors assigned to work with Bishop Chatard students; you should be able to determine our rep by going to the college’s website and clicking a link similar to “Find My Counselor.” This person is your resource and your advocate; utilize them! There are also opportunities to visit colleges through their virtual programs, which can be found on their websites.
Every senior should try to take advantage of the opportunity to visit a college when the underclassmen take the PSAT exam, in mid October. Seniors may choose to use additional days for college visits as needed.
College Visit Procedure
To make a physical visit to a college during a school day:
- Register in advance for the college on their website.
- Parents need to report the student’s absence on the day of the college visit via SafeArrival software.
- In order for the absence to be considered excused, upon return, the student must provide verification or your itinerary to the main office (Mrs. Fagan or Mr. Reilly), including the date, time and duration of the college visit that he or she has made.
- Students must be in good standing with a satisfactory attendance record and adhere to the guidelines regarding visits.
- If you need a pre-arranged absence form for an extended absence, see Mr. Reilly.