Welcome back to school! Information to kick off the year is below. Please contact Mrs. Nixon if you have any questions.
1. Please complete this form and submit prior to 7:50 am on Wednesday, August 14, 2019 to participate in an application process to be one of Bishop Chatard’s nominees for the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship Program. Applications are due by Wednesday, August 14, at 7:50 am. Nominated students must: 1. Demonstrate financial need, 2. Plan to pursue a full-time baccalaureate course of study beginning in the fall of 2019 at a public or private college or university in Indiana, 3a. HAMILTON COUNTY: Be a Hamilton County resident, have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA, demonstrate a commitment to community volunteerism, and demonstrate leadership and/or initiative in their school, community, and/or extracurricular activities, 3b. MARION COUNTY: Be a Marion County resident, have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA, and demonstrate motivation and/or a high level of responsibility through school, community, family, and/or extracurricular activities. CICF review criteria: 10% essay, 15% academics, 20% interview, 20% resume of activities, 30% financial need. Please contact Mrs. Nixon with questions.
2. Class of 2020 Summa Cum Laude students need to see Mrs. Nixon for an individual senior Summa meeting between August 21 and September 11. If you are unsure of your Summa status, please come in anyway. If you are opting out of Summa, please email Mrs. Nixon to let her know.
3. There will be a National Honor Society meeting next week. Please check your email on Tuesday, August 13 if you are currently in NHS or may be eligible to apply this semester.
4. Please complete your College Autobiography ASAP. This helps teachers write letters of recommendation for your college applications. After you complete it, you should ask them in person whether they are willing to write a recommendation for you. Then, send them the copies of your College Autobiography responses.
5. Colleges will be visiting Bishop Chatard this fall. To register: Log in to Naviance Student. (Use your student number without @bishopchatard.org and your regular BCHS password.) Click on “Colleges” in the top right. Scroll down to “College Visits.” Click on “Show More.” Next to the college name for the meeting you want to attend, click on “Register Now” over to the right. You will not receive a pass for the meeting. Attendance will be taken when the bell rings. Meeting locations and room numbers will also be found on the College Reps calendar on the BCHS college counseling website. Our policy for college rep meetings is: You must sign up for a visit in advance to attend the session. Each student is allowed to participate in up to eight meetings. You are responsible to make up any work missed. You are not to miss a test, mandatory presentation, important quiz, etc., for a college meeting. If you are not sure what will take place in class on the day of the visit, be proactive and check with the teacher the day before or the morning of the meeting to see if it is acceptable for you to miss class. You will go directly to the meeting room rather than reporting to class first. Attendance will be taken. You must be in the designated room or area of the meeting prior to the ringing of the bell or you will be marked tardy for that period’s class. College meetings that take place during homeroom take up the entire period. You will not be released from the meeting room for any reason. College meetings that take place during a class period will typically end well in advance of the end of the period; you will be given a pass to return to class promptly. The Guidance Office reserves the right to remove you from the college meeting if your academic profile does not match the admission standards of the school or if your actions do not meet the desired expectations for our students.
6. Please complete your Common Application as soon as possible. When you get to the questions about our school, please indicate that we have A-F grading on a 4.0 weighted scale. There are 195 students in your class and we do not rank. You have to list Mrs. Nixon as your counselor in order for all of the proper paperwork to be submitted. Do not list anyone as your Advisor.
7. Remember, if a school does not accept the Common Application, you will need to apply through the college’s website and request your transcript through Parchment. You must request a transcript to be sent to each college or university through Common Application or Parchment.
8. This is the time to prepare for and take/retake the SAT and ACT. Remember that free online test prep tools are available through Khan Academy for SAT and ACT Academy. It is important that you send your scores directly from the testing service through your CollegeBoard and ACT accounts. Take advantage of the free score sends when you register. You must send your test scores to each college or university directly from the testing service. If you qualify for free or reduced lunch, you also qualify for test fee waivers. See Mrs. Nixon to access your code.
9. To visit a college during a school day, register in advance on the college website. Have your family call you in the morning of your absence. When you return from your absence, take confirmation of your attendance or your itinerary for the day to Mrs. Kaminski. If you need a pre-arranged absence form for an extended absence, see Mr. Reilly.
10. If you are pursuing college athletics, please register with the NCAA Eligibility Center (NCAA Division I and II), NAIA Eligibility Center (NAIA), and/or NJCAA (National Junior College Athletic Association). NCAA Division III athletes do not need to register.
11. Scholarships and Financial Aid: You can begin filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on October 1 at fafsa.ed.gov. You will be reviewed for financial aid based on your 2018 tax information. If your income has changed drastically from 2018 to 2019, or if you have special circumstances, please contact each college or university for assistance. We recommend fastweb.com, RaiseMe, and CollegeBoard Opportunity Scholarships for outside scholarship searches.
Thank you to our sponsors at Marian University for supporting Bishop Chatard students.