PSAT scores became available in December. School counselors will be around to your classes in January to give more information about interpreting your scores. In the interim, there are several local opportunities you can utilize as you to prepare for future SAT and ACT tests.
- The BCHS SAT PREP CLASS will begin January 22and meet Monday evenings from 6:00 to 8:00 pm for 6 weeks (January 22, 29 and February 5, 12, 19, 26; the class will take place on President’s Day). Register online; $150 payment is required for registration. http://counseling.
bishopchatard.org/sat-prep- class-at-bchs/ The class is limited to 40 registrants and spaces fill quickly.
- BENDER AND ROCAP EDUCATIONAL SERVICES. (http://www.bender-rocap.com, 317.205.9215, firstname.lastname@example.org) Experienced tutors who have received A+ feedback from students who now feel more confident. Many students raised their scores, gained admission to the college of their choice or earned scholarships. For individual tutoring: $60 per hour; $45 for 45 minutes. For two students together: $38 per student, per hour. For three or four students together: $27 per student, per hour.
- CLUB Z! IN-HOME TUTORING. Test Prep Online Option: Great option for students with very busy schedules or who don’t quite need the intensity of one-on-one, private tutoring. http://tutors.clubztutoring.com/indy/indy-online-sat-act-classes/. One-on-one, In-Home Option: SAT: http://tutors.clubztutoring.com/indy/indy-sat-test-prep-tutors/, ACT: http://tutors.clubztutoring.com/indy/indy-act-test-prep-tutors/. SAT/ACT program information and SAT/ACT Flyer on the BCHS School Counseling site provide additional information.
- COLLEGE NANNIES+SITTERS+TUTORS. Sponsor of our Spring College Night, College Nannies + Sitters + Tutors offers in-office tutoring in the Nora area with a customized model that emphasizes matching an appropriate Tudor with the student’s learning style. A flexible approach anchored with tailored, detailed Progress Plans helps to ensure success for each student. https://www.collegenanniesandtutors.com/tutor/collegetestprep/
- KHAN ACADEMY offers a free, personalized way for you to use the results of your PSAT to prep for the SAT. We have seen students increase their scores significantly by practicing 3 to 4 times a week for 30 to 45 minutes a day for three months. Reminder: It’s free!
- MOXEY TEST PREP. New Year Intensive SAT and ACT Primer: Make a New Year’s resolution to score higher! Students will attend workshops at the Carmel Clay Public Library January 2-5 and select from the 9:00am-12:00pm class, the 11:15am-2:15pm class, and the 1:30-4:30pm class. This class is designed for students off of school that week who want an introduction to the Moxey Test Prep methods for all sections of the SAT and ACT. Email email@example.com to have a spot held and receive a confirmation that gives the details about payment, location, and required materials. Seating is very limited. The cost of the class is $600. More information on all upcoming SAT and ACT workshop classes is at moxeytestprep.com.
- SARAH PETERSON is a private tutor with 27 years of test prep experience. She offers weekday afternoon & evening appointments (no weekend) at her home office in Ivy Hills. Individual and small group sessions, individualized to students’ needs. Text or talk: 317-578-1986. Email: Sarah.firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration is now open for the 2018 SAT Prep Class at BCHS. This is for BCHS students only.
This is a 6-week SAT Prep class, taught by BCHS teacher Mrs. Schaffner and former teacher Mrs. Klee, in January-February. Each class runs from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Class dates are Mondays : January 22, 29, 2018 and February 5, 12, 19, 26, 2018. (The class WILL be held on President’s Day).
This class covers Math and English on the revised SAT. Cost is $150.
All registration is online. Payment will be collected during registration through our secure form. The class is limited to 40 registrants and spaces fill quickly.
SCORE REPORTS FOR PSAT: FALL 2017 RESULTS ARE AVAILABLE NOW
You can now view your PSAT scores online with your CollegeBoard login. Counselors will deliver the paper score reports to homerooms after Christmas break. If you use your PSAT scores correctly, you can improve your SAT scores, increase your academic potential, and focus your college search.
VIEWING YOUR SCORES ONLINE
When you log into your CollegeBoard account, you will first see your most recent scores. For information on how to “Get the Most from Your Score Report,” view the PSAT video: https://youtu.be/nzCSIilL3WQ.
PAPER REPORT PART 1: YOUR SCORES
You will be able to view your total score as well as the subscores and benchmarks. The percentiles and benchmarks are useful to see where you have room to improve, but do not panic if you do not yet meet the benchmarks. The purpose of a practice test is to help you know where you can improve, and your BCHS counselors are here to help you prepare now to meet the benchmarks on future tests.
PAPER REPORT PART 2: SUBSCORE INFORMATION
The subscores demonstrate smaller areas of proficiency or areas of improvement. You will be able to break down the larger areas to see where you can focus your preparation before you take the SAT. This allows the study and preparation process to be less intimidating. For example, one week you can focus on questions that deal with Words in Context and then move on to Expression of Ideas rather than feeling overwhelmed and not starting at all.
PAPER REPORT PART 3: NATIONAL MERIT
For Juniors Only: This section shows you your National Merit Scholarship eligibility. If there is an asterisk next to your NMSC selection index number, you do not qualify for the scholarship program. As discussed in junior Theology classes, a high index score is still beneficial to you in other ways. Please see Mrs. Nixon for more clarification.
PAPER REPORT PART 4: NEXT STEPS
This section of the report really breaks down your strengths and areas of growth. You can build confidence by seeing what you already do well (on the left) and continue to learn more about where you have room to improve (on the right). Using the suggestions in the right-hand column truly does give you the chance to focus your energy on improving your skills.
PAPER REPORT PART 5: QUESTION ANALYSIS
This section of the report allows you to view every question you missed, the correct answer, and your incorrect guess. You can break down where you went wrong on your incorrect guess, the reasoning for the correct answer, and what you can expect going forward when you take the SAT. This is such a valuable tool for you as you set up your Khan Academy account and complete practice questions for your future College Board tests.
Thank you to the CollegeBoard for making their Suite of Assessments so user-friendly and cohesive this year! https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scores/student-score-reports
Inside this issue of the Counseling Newsletter, you will find information about preparing for final exams, where to get extra academic help at BCHS, NHS final exam tutoring session dates, information for the Class of 2018 and more!
Read the newsletter here