LILLY NOMINATION FORM: Please complete this form and submit prior to 8:00 am on Wednesday, August 15, 2018 to participate in an application process to be one of Bishop Chatard’s nominees for the Lilly Endowment Community Scholarship Program.
We are able to nominate two students who reside in Hamilton County and two students who reside in Marion County. Applications and College Cost Summary Forms are due by Wednesday, August 15, at 8:00 am. Nominated students must: 1. Demonstrate financial need, 2. Plan to pursue a full-time baccalaureate course of study beginning in the fall of 2018 at a public or private college or university in Indiana, 3a. HAMILTON COUNTY: Be a Hamilton County resident, have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA, demonstrate a commitment to community volunteerism, and demonstrate leadership and/or initiative in their school, community, and/or extracurricular activities, 3b. MARION COUNTY: Be a Marion County resident, have a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA, and demonstrate motivation and/or a high level of responsibility through school, community, family, and/or extracurricular activities. 4. Submit the Indiana College Cost Summary Form to Mrs. Nixon or Mrs. Alerding in the Counseling Office. (The online calculator allows families to see the true cost of attending Indiana colleges once financial aid is taken into account. The ICC Summary Form has been designed to be quick and easy and will take most users approximately 15 minutes. You can find the Indiana College Cost Estimator at www.indianacollegecosts.org
NAVIANCE: Naviance Student allows you to research college and career opportunities, take personality inventories, create a personal success plan, conduct a college search, track your application progress, and create a resumé. The Naviance student login is https://student.naviance.com/bishopchatard. You will want to use your 6 digit student number (do not add @bishopchatard) and your regular password.
COMMON APPLICATION: You can complete the majority of your Common Application now and save it! You will then be able to pull it up when applications go live on August 1 and have a head start on completing the process. Set up your account today.
SENIOR AUTOBIOGRAPHY: Don’t forget to complete your Senior Autobiography ASAP. You have to access it from your BCHS gmail in order for it to work. This helps with letters of recommendation for colleges, scholarships, and special opportunities. Be sure to click “Send me a copy of my responses” so that you can forward the information to your recommenders. The more fully you answer these questions, the more detailed your letter can be.
COLLEGE VISITS: We recommend that you plan college visits for the afternoon following Living Rosary (October 3) and for PSAT Day (October 10). Fall Break is October 25-29. Colleges typically want you to sign up online for a specific visit or special program. Visits are excused absences if you have to miss school. You will need to be called in the morning of your absence and bring a school excuse form to Mrs. Kaminski when you return. Feel free to contact coaches, academic departments, professors, etc. after you have scheduled your visit to set up additional meetings to make the most of your time on campus.
COLLEGE MEETINGS: College reps are scheduled to visit BCHS this year. A full schedule is available at https://counseling.bishopchatard.org/college-reps/. Sign-up information will be available soon.
PEER RECOMMENDATION FORM: Great news! Do you love your classmates in the class of 2019? You can now provide information for the letters of recommendation we send to colleges. Complete this form so we can share w colleges. Challenge: Take time to complete a form for someone you admire with whom you are not close friends.
NCAA ELIGIBILITY CENTER: If you are interested in participating in NCAA Athletics, the NCAA Eligibility Center has a wealth of information for you:
- Learn the difference between Division I, Division II, and Division III
- Review the guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete
- Create a Division I or II Eligibility Center Account
- Create a Division III Profile
AUGUST TO-DO LIST:
- Sign up with Parchment.com. This is for transcripts. You do not need to complete the student activities, grades, etc. Request your transcript to be sent to all schools that are not on Common Application.
- Stay organized to make the college application and decision process less stressful.
- Make sure you have all application websites and forms required for college admission and financial aid. Update your calendar with all deadlines for your applications and financial aid.
- Complete the Lilly Nominee Application Form by August 15 if you plan to apply to be one of BCHS’ nominees.
- SEND YOUR ACT/SAT SCORES DIRECTLY TO COLLEGES. You can do this through your College Board and ACT accounts.
- Register for the ACT or SAT or SAT Subject Tests if needed.
- Register for the CSSProfile financial aid form if needed.
- If your college applications require recommendation letters, ask teachers to write one on your behalf. Please allow teachers at least 3 weeks to complete your recommendation. Provide recommendation forms and any special instructions. Write a thank you letter to the teacher afterward.
Students – Do you have an interest in sports journalism or photography? We are seeking students who would like to contribute content to the Circle City Athletic Conference website and social media platforms. To be up front, there will be no pay involved, although press passes may be secured to allow for free entrance to events where CCC teams are participating. All content will ultimately be subject to approval by the schools/athletic departments involved.
Apply online here
The PSAT will be offered in October. We will meet with students in grades 9 through 11 to give more information about interpreting your scores in the coming weeks. In the interim, there are several local opportunities you can utilize as you to prepare for future SAT and ACT tests.
- The BCHS SAT PREP CLASS will once again be offered in January and February. It is teacher-led.
- BENDER AND ROCAP EDUCATIONAL SERVICES. (http://www.bender-rocap.com, 317.205.9215, firstname.lastname@example.org) Experienced tutors who have received A+ feedback from students who now feel more confident. Many students raised their scores, gained admission to the college of their choice or earned scholarships. For individual tutoring: $60 per hour; $45 for 45 minutes. For two students together: $38 per student, per hour. For three or four students together: $27 per student, per hour.
- CLASS 101. Classes are $499. Over the past 20 years, Class 101 has helped more than 3,000 students improve their average SAT scores over 180 points. Tools Provided: Textbook, Worksheets, Online Resources, Trend Sheets, Two Full Practice Tests in Class and Trend Analysis, Two Additional Tests for Homework, Discover Areas of Weakness and Correct Weak Trends, Test-taking Tips, Strategies, and Timing. (https://www.class101.com/centralindiana/act-sat-classes/)
- CLUB Z! IN-HOME TUTORING. Test Prep Online Option: Great option for students with very busy schedules or who don’t quite need the intensity of one-on-one, private tutoring. http://tutors.clubztutoring.com/indy/indy-online-sat-act-classes/. One-on-one, In-Home Option: SAT: http://tutors.clubztutoring.com/indy/indy-sat-test-prep-tutors/, ACT: http://tutors.clubztutoring.com/indy/indy-act-test-prep-tutors/. SAT/ACT program information and SAT/ACT Flyer on the BCHS School Counseling site provide additional information.
- COLLEGE NANNIES+SITTERS+TUTORS. Sponsor of our Spring College Night, College Nannies + Sitters + Tutors offers in-office tutoring in the Nora area with a customized model that emphasizes matching an appropriate tutor with the student’s learning style.
- A flexible approach anchored with tailored, detailed Progress Plans helps to ensure success for each student. https://www.collegenanniesandtutors.com/tutor/collegetestprep/ Carmel and Nora Libraries are co-hosting SAT/ACT Practice Exams with College Tutors on Aug 25th. Students must register and choose location and test option via registration link: Aug 25 ACT/SAT Practice Exam. Carmel Library session starts at 9:30am, Nora Library starts at 10am, and each session will last approximately 3.5 hours. This is a complimentary session provided by Nora Library, Carmel Library, and College Tutors but seating is limited. Any questions can be directed to Dave Snider, 317-559-2510.
- KHAN ACADEMY offers a free, personalized way for you to use the results of your PSAT to prep for the SAT. We have seen students increase their scores significantly by practicing 3 to 4 times a week for 30 to 45 minutes a day for three months. Reminder: It’s free!
- MOXEY TEST PREP. Introductions are available to the Moxey Test Prep methods for all sections of the SAT and ACT. Email email@example.com to have a spot held and receive a confirmation that gives the details about payment, location, and required materials. Seating is very limited. More information on all upcoming SAT and ACT workshop classes is at moxeytestprep.com.
- SARAH PETERSON is a private tutor with 27 years of test prep experience. She offers weekday afternoon & evening appointments (no weekend) at her home office in Ivy Hills. Individual and small group sessions, individualized to students’ needs. Text or talk: 317-578-1986. Email: Sarah.firstname.lastname@example.org
Inside this issue of the Counseling Newsletter, you will find information about preparing for final exams, where to get extra academic help at BCHS, NHS final exam tutoring session dates, information for the Class of 2018 and more!
Read the newsletter here